[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: Thank you, Berkeley High heroes!

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sat Feb 9 09:00:23 PST 2008

contact: jhuseby at pacbell.net

In the old days the Soviet Union often elevated common people to
"Hero" status. There were Hero Steel Workers and Hero Farmers and
Hero Mothers all of whom distinguished themselves for their
productivity. I always thought it was a little corny but I have
revised my thinking. There are volunteers at Berkeley High who
deserve to be called heroes.  This week close to 40 volunteers helped
our 789 strong sophomore class work their way through the tedious,
exasperating, mandatory California High School Exit Exam with grace
and good will. Some volunteers arrived at 7:15 in the morning; others
were there until 3 in the afternoon. Volunteers checked students in,
proctored, sorted tests, and were supportive and calm and simply
wonderful.

My apologies to those whose last names I struggled to decipher on the
sign in sheets.  But, misspelling your name does not diminish my
gratitude! And if you didn't sign in, I am still grateful! Thank you
all very much: Debbie Lloyd, Karin Blimon, Carol McDermott, Joanna
Rudy,  Mike Olson, Sherry Kassenbrock, Sandi Hunt, Kathy Devin, Vikki
Elliott, Kevin Hicks, Teresa Olson, David Olson, David Harrington,
Ellie McCance-Katz, Michael Katz,  Donald Morgon, JoAnne Lyman, Peggy
Scott, Mark Shaw, Nancy Yep, Zovig Donikian, David Salniker, Kim
Abbott, Rachel Fish, Tina Li, Jonathan Wexler, Maggie Verdier, Kevin
Hicks, Tracy Lewis, Margaret Carter, Victoria Angello, Joan L Bradus,
HZ Paulz (?), Linda Safarik Tong, Lina Urbain, Susan Lawrence.