[BHS etree] MISC: Mentors sought in "green" industries

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Jan 31 14:50:52 PST 2008

Contact: Ellen Singer [mailto:coldsprings5 at yahoo.com]

The college and Career Center is seeking is seeking adults willing to
mentor students interested in hands on work in the green industries
such as solar, plumbing, landscaping, carpentry, etc.  The mentorships
are part of a recently launched program: The Herb Singer Green
Scholars.

Ellen Singer-Vine writes: My father, Herbert Singer, was the first
school psychologist in the Berkeley schools and from 1962 to 1982 he
was school psychologist at BHS. (After his retirement, he continued
his connection with BHS as a volunteer in the front office.)   His
children and three of his grandchildren also attended BHS.  My father
was passionate about vocational education and he lamented its  absence
in recent years at the High School.  When he  died in the Spring 2007,
our family created a fund (administered by the Berkeley High
Development Group) to support students who do  not choose the college
bound track.

Ilene Abrams, Angela Price, Dave Stevens, Flora Russ and I have spent
the past months brainstorming about a program at BHS that would
address my father's interest in vocational education and we have come
up with a program called The Herb Singer Green Scholars. Through this
program we will help prepare 5-6 students each year for a
mentoring/apprenticeship program in the green industries.   We are
seeking the participation of parents whose work is in the green
industries i.e. solar, plumbing, landscaping, irrigation, carpentry
etc and would be interested in being a mentor.

Please contact Ellen Singer-Vine for information at
coldsprings5 at yahoo.com if you are interested in helping.