[BHS etree] SUPT: Update on 2008-09 School Calendar

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Jan 29 09:42:44 PST 2008

Note: This is a message from BUSD PIO Mark Coplan -- please direct any
inquiries to him at [mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Update on 2008-09 School Calendar
---------------------------------

The District is now in the process of developing the school calendars
with our unions for the years 2008-2009, 2009-2010, and 2010-2011. We
feel doing three years in advance is in everyone's interest,
especially our students' families.We are in active discussion with the
teachers' union.

The changes on the calendar include two major shifts: we are
considering closing school Thanksgiving week and the week around the
President day holidays in February. We have found that students and
staff are less likely to be present during these holiday periods
causing both a loss of instruction for these students and a loss of
revenue for the District.

The number student days during the year remains the same and summer
breaks will be nine weeks long.

We will release the calendar as soon as it is available.

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD
510-644-6320
Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us