[BHS etree] ADMIN/VOLUNTEERS: Many opportunities next three weeks

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Jan 14 09:30:59 PST 2008

Contact: Janet Huseby [mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net]

There are many important opportunities to volunteer at BHS over the
next few weeks.   And each one IS an opportunity to meet fellow
parents, watch our students in action, and help a great community
school further its mission of educating our children.  We hope that
you will take away as much as you give. If you can help, please let
Janet Huseby know when and she will get back with more details
(contact Janet at jhuseby at pacbell.net).

1. Tomorrow, Tuesday, January 15 we will be doing a short mailing from
8:30 to 10:30 in Conference Room B to mail catalogues to incoming 9th
graders at our three BUSD feeder schools.   (The catalogues will be
available at the front desk for students coming in from non BUSD
schools.)

2. The College and Career Center is taking our sophomores to visit
colleges in a series of one day trips. We want out students excited
and focused on the future before they start their most important
junior year. Our college counselors are already excited! The center is
chartering busses and needs chaperones from 7:30 to 4:30 on the
following days:

a. Wednesday, January 30 (3 volunteers)
b. Thursday, January 31 - (3 volunteers)
c. Friday, February 8 - (5 volunteers)

3. On Tuesday, January 29 the California State Department and local
League of Women Voters is sponsoring a state-wide student mock
election.  We envision setting up polling booths in the foyer of the
Community Theater.  We need volunteers to register "voters," hand out
ballots, monitor booths and help count the results.  We still need
people for all shifts listed below:

#1 - 8:30-10:30
#2 - 10:30-12:30
#3 - 12:30-2:30
#4 - 2:30-3:30.

4. Testing

On Tuesday and Wednesday February 5 and 6th all 10th graders take the
California Exit Exam (CAHSEE) for the first time.  This is a high
stakes test and we want our students to have a calm and orderly test
taking venue. In order to do so, we are asking the community's help,
your help, with checking in students, monitoring the test, collecting
the booklets and then redistributing them the following day. We need
volunteers starting at 7:10 am and going until 3 pm--on both days.

We have divided the days into three shifts: 7:15 to 8:30, 8:30 to noon
and noon to three (approximately.)
* The first shift will be in charge of making sure each student has
the proper test and answer sheet.
* The second shift will monitor the test and start collecting and
organizing the completed tests.
* The third shift will continue to monitor and organize the returned
tests.

I will have approximately 10 parking passes each  which I will
distribute on a first come first served basis though we are hoping for
more than 10 per shift per day. If you can help, please let me know
what day

BACKGROUND INFO: The exit exam is offered once to sophomores, twice to
juniors and three times to seniors. Starting last year, all students
MUST
pass the exam in order to receive a California high school diploma. If
sophomore passes the test, they do not have to take it again. The exam
will
start at 7:30 in the old gym on Milvia Street.

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net
(510) 527-1130