[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: Exit Exam, Tour guides, Library

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Sep 24 08:50:39 PDT 2007

Contact: Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

Three new ways to help at Berkeley High: Exit Exam, Tour guides, and
Library:

1. EXIT EXAM  On Tuesday and Wednesday, Oct. 2 and 3, Berkeley High
will be administering the first of three sets of the California Exit
Exam for this school year.  Seniors who need to may take the test
three times this year, juniors may take it twice, and the entire
sophomore class will take the test once (in February).  Students who
are taking the test in October are seniors and juniors, and will be
notified this week.

In order to have the test run smoothly we need help:  three or four
volunteers who can help check in (roughly 7:15 to 9 a.m.), a  couple
of volunteers who can help monitor either  during the morning   (9 to
11:30, noon to 3), and several who can help pack and process the tests
at the end of the day (from noon to 2).  If you can help, please let
Janet Huseby, BHS volunteer coordinator, know at jhuseby at pacbell.net.

2. TOUR GUIDES  Last year parent tour guides showed 577 visitors
around Berkeley High during a series of one hour morning tours. The
"touring season" for prospective students runs from October to March.
The small group tours leave the Front Desk at 9:30 a.m. most mornings
and are by reservation only. I am looking for a few more parents to
conduct the tours.  If you are interested, please contact me at
jhuseby at pacbell.net

A little more information on the tours: The tours walk by
classrooms--many of which have open doors--but they do not go into
rooms for observation.
They are not "orientation tours." (There are wonderful student-led
tours for our incoming students in August.) The fall and early spring
tours are directed towards parents who are deciding  if Berkeley High
is the appropriate school for their child. Prospective students are
welcome but ONLY if accompanied by their parent or guardian. To make a
reservation, contact Janet Huseby at jhuseby at pacbell.net

3. LIBRARY  The Library needs as much help as it can get over the next
three weeks to complete its inventory.  If you can help, please come
in to the Front Desk, sign in and proceed to the Library.  The
librarians will show you what to do.