[BHS etree] SUPT: Berkeley Public Ed Foundation Fundraiser Sunday Sept 16th

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sat Sep 15 09:41:07 PDT 2007

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact www.fourthstreet.com.

A note from Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer:
The Berkeley Public Education Foundation asked me to share this
announcement about an important fundraiser for this weekend. The BPEF
provides Berkeley schools and teachers hundreds of thousands of
dollars in grants as well as over a million dollars in classroom
volunteer hours through Berkeley School Volunteers.

Fourth Street Retromobilia Auto Show Will Benefit Berkeley Public
Education Foundation

Berkeley's inaugural Retromobilia auto show,  spotlighting classic and
alternative fuel vehicles, has received pledges and sponsorships
approaching $l0,000  for the Berkeley Public Education Foundation.
The event will be held Sunday, September 16, 2007.

"The art of the car" display  will see West Berkeley's Fourth Street
closed to normal traffic between Hearst and Virginia Streets on
Sunday, September 16, from 10 AM to 4 PM. "We'll make this a
pedestrian mall for the day," said Denny Abrams, representing the
Shops of Fourth Street.

"Food, music, and fun will be the order of the day," he said,  "with
some 65 vintage cars and 20 alternative fuel vehicles exhibited in the
parking area immediately to the west of Fourth Street."

While Retromobilia is free, visitors will  be encouraged to support
the Berkeley Public Education Foundation with a contribution of $5 or
more, which will make them eligible for a drawing to win the use of a
new Zenn l00% electric car when they drive to a Fourth Street
restaurant for complimentary dinner for two. Other drawing prizes will
be contributed by the merchants of Fourth Street.

According to Molly Fraker, Executive Director of The Berkeley Public
Education Foundation, "Our organization steps in to provide teachers
with funds for an array of classroom enrichment projects.  We invite
Berkeley's public school teachers to seek Foundation grants to enhance
arts programs, take students on outings, purchase curriculum materials
and develop unique activities that otherwise might not be available to
them. With $l0,000 or more generated from Retromobilia we'll  be even
better positioned to accomplish many of our goals for the coming
school year." In addition to its grants,  the Foundation utilizes the
services of over 800 volunteers to assist it in its efforts.

Retromobilia is presented by the Shops of Fourth Street and is
sponsored by PG&E, Toyota of Berkeley (displaying late model hybrids),
Mechanics Bank and Zenn cars--the "Zero Emission, No Noise" electric
cars.

For further information on the event: go to www.fourthstreet.com.