[BHS etree] BHSDG: Development Group News--Projects Funded and New Website

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Sep 10 08:34:03 PDT 2007

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Susan Helmrich
<mailto:shelmrich at aol.com> or Jenny Burroughs
<mailto:jdburroughs at sbcglobal.net>

The BHSDG held its first meeting of the 2007-08 school year last week,
and funded a number of programs and projects, as listed below.

In addition, the Berkeley High Development Group is proud to announce
our new and updated website! You can now donate to the BHSDG via
Paypal at the website: www.bhsdg.org .  Please check it out to learn
more about the BHS Development Group, and see what you can do to help
enhance Berkeley High for all of our students.

Many thanks to parent volunteer webmaster Jim Clara for his work with
us on this!

Disposition of BHSDG Funds:

$500 Discretionary Funds awarded to:
    * College and Career Center,
    * Parent Resource Center
    * Counseling Department
    * Student Health Center

25% of the BHSDG eScrip income will be given to the Berkeley Athletic
Fund (BAF).

$20,000 was allocated to the BHSDG-sponsored After-School Tutoring
Program.  This money will be used to pay teachers to stay after school
to tutor students (provided they commit to staying once or twice/week
on the same days each week, for the entire school year).  This program
will be open to all students in all small schools, AC and BIHS.

$400 was awarded to Shannon Erby, an AHA teacher, to be used to take
students on a field trip to the Museum of the African Diaspora in SF.
She also received a grant of $2000 to be used to take her 9th grade
students to a Challenge Course to build community and trust among the
AHA freshmen.

$960 was awarded to Student Support Services to fund 3 Study Skills
Workshops for 9th and 10th graders and their parents.  Funds will pay
Classroom Matters for study group leaders.

$400 was awarded to the Quiz Bowl Team for tournament entry fees and
practice materials.

Thank you to everyone in the BHS community for your continual support
of the BHSDG.  We could not do all that we do without your generous
contributions.  If you have not contributed, but would like to,
donations are always welcomed.  Checks can be made out to BHSDG and
sent to:

BHS Development Group
P.O. Box 519
Berkeley, CA 94701-0519