[BHS etree] SUPT: Superintendent Michele Lawrence Announces Retirement

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Sep 7 19:55:33 PDT 2007

September 5, 2007

BUSD Superintendent Michele Lawrence's Statement to the Board and the
Community:

Six years ago, after being selected as the new superintendent, I confessed
that I had quit buying lottery tickets because I felt I had used all my
good fortune being chosen to come to Berkeley.  To this day I still feel
my lucky number was picked. I have been most grateful to serve this
community as the Superintendent of Schools. It has been, and continues to
be, an incredible experience.

Now, however, now I am at the point of my professional life that after 36
years of service in public education I believe it is time for me to
reflect on the next phase of my life and perhaps lend my skills and
talents to other endeavors. Even though I have a deep and abiding passion
for public education, my role as superintendent, with the long hours and
time commitment, have afforded me little time for myself. So, while I am
still young and healthy enough, I want to explore other life interests.
Thus, with mixed emotions, I am announcing my retirement effective this
Feb 1, 2008

My experience as a superintendent for sixteen years tells me that with
this announcement there will be a sigh of relief from my critics, but a
sense of trepidation from those who believe in my leadership. But, this
much I know:

Our District is strong, stable and in a readied position to move to the
next phase in our development. We have improved our academic programs,
increased our test scores, stabilized our finances, improved our
processes, developed strong leadership teams at the site and central
office, and created a better sense of cooperation and harmony within our
community. Although we can ill afford to get lazy or cavalier, I feel
confident that I can step away and our District will continue on the
strong path to excellence, and the children of this community will thrive.

I also know, without doubt, that our Board of Education is extremely
principled, intelligent and aware of our District’s strengths and flaws.
They have set our course and know what needs to be accomplished; so, with
the support of our community I know they will select another leader who
can continue our improvements and build on the values and traditions that
has made us a great school system.

Over the next six months, while the Board seeks my replacement, I will
continue to be visible, dedicated to our goals, and serve the District to
the best of my ability. Since I will remain a resident of this community,
I can also offer my support in making the transition to new leadership as
smooth as possible.

However, we have many more months before we say good bye, and we will
continue to work together toward making make this the best school system
in the Country.