[BHS etree] ADMIN: Military Waivers/ Student Assembly

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Sep 5 18:35:36 PDT 2007

Please do not hit reply, if there are any questions please contact:
Vice Principal Vernon Walton mailto:vernon_Walton at berkeley.k12.ca.us

There will be student assembly on September 7, 2007 to inform
students about their rights regarding military recruitment. We will
hand out and collect a Release and Disclosure of Student Information
at the assembly. We must be ready to provide the military with this
information, so it is important students attend the assembly.

The federal "No Child Left Behind" act calls on school districts to
provide the military with the names, addresses, and phone numbers of
high school
students for recruiting purposes.  Until last year our district
has only handed over names of students who have wanted to receive
information from recruiters--that is, those who have "opted in."
According to the Department of Defense, we were the last district in
the country to follow this policy.

As a result of increased pressure from the federal government to
comply with their interpretation of the law, the school is now
providing the opportunity for every junior and senior to fill out a
Release and Disclosure of Student Information indicating if they DO
NOT want to receive military information.  Note: Seniors who filled
out a Release and Disclosure of Student Information last spring must
do so again this year.

Parents should also be aware that the military has avenues other than
the school district from which it may obtain personal information.

1. There is a box on the SATs to check if students wish to receive
information from colleges. If the box is checked, the military will
also send information.

2. Members of the military, as do a number of colleges, hold
information meetings for interested students in the College and Career
Center.  These meetings are advertised in the Student Daily Bulletin.

3. Finally, all 18-year-old males are required to register for the
Selective Service (the draft) as must all male students who apply for
federal financial aid for college.

If there are any questions please contact: Vice Principal Vernon
Walton mailto:vernon_Walton at berkeley.k12.ca.us