[BHS etree] VOLUNTEER: Help needed this coming week!

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sat Aug 25 14:49:04 PDT 2007

contact: Janet Huseby jhuseby at pacbell.net

First, a heartfelt thank you to the over 120 people who helped out last week
during registration.  It was an amazing display of community support,
dedication and affection for Berkeley High.  Our children are  beyond
fortunate to receive such attention and care.

Next week is the important First Week of School.  Volunteer opportunities
(or to be more direct, Need for Volunteers) abounds. If you can possible
find time to come in for 1 to 2 hours at any point to help in any of the
tasks, you will make a significant launching our dear children into a new
school year.  Below, I have divided up the jobs and attempted to describe
them. Please let me where you can help.

Monday and Tuesday.
1. Make Up Registration.  This will take place on Monday afternoon from 1 to
3, Tuesday morning from 9 to 12 and Tuesday afternoon from 1 to 3.  We need
volunteers willing to laminate, collect forms,  and hand out schedules.
Lockers are not included in this list as they will be handled by Ms Eastman
in H104.

2. Supply Room.  Ms Tamara who is running the supply room needs help boxing
teacher requests so supplies can be delivered promptly. All day

3. Library.  The library needs help cataloging new books. All day.

Wednesday through Friday
(All volunteers should first report to the front desk to sign in and get a
volunteer badge.)

3. First Day Makeup. On the first day of school, Wednesday August 29, we
need four volunteers at 7:30 a.m. to hand out schedules to students who have
not yet picked up their schedules and the many kids who have already lost
their schedules.  This will take place in the Food Court.

4. Census Takers. For the first nine days we will need four or five
volunteers each day to collect attendance records from classes during 2nd
and 3rd period (9:30 to 10:30 roughly). Explanation: At the beginning of the
year, some classes are over enrolled and others are under enrolled due to
"no shows." But classes can not be shifted or increased until it is
confirmed that the "no shows" really have not shown.  To do so, attendance
must be carefully collected and recorded. This job is VERY important and
gives you a chance to visit many classrooms.

5. Runners. We will need "runners" throughout the day the first few weeks to
deliver schedule changes to students who have put in a schedule change form.
Explanation: The last day students may put in a schedule change request is
Friday, August 31. Students must attend all classes on the schedule which
they collect during registration (no matter how off or wrong).  Counselors
will get back in touch with them as fast as possible by sending runners with
the new schedule to the classes found on the old schedule.

PARKING NOTE:  Unfortunately, once school starts only permit holders may use
the school's lots during the school day.  Please do not park in them.  I
have found unmetered 2 hour parking along MLK near the football  field and
Washington School.

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator
jhuseby at pacbell.net <mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net>