[BHS etree] MISC: Volunteer With Special Needs Children

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Aug 23 14:12:08 PDT 2007

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Dori Maxon at SnapKids
[mailto:snapkids at earthlink.net]

VOLUNTEERS WANTED 1 HOUR PER WEEK IN BERKELEY!

Do you love to play with children? Do you love to play in the water?
Then SNAP may be a great match for you! At SNAP we take kids with
special needs and bring them in the water so they can have fun, learn,
and gain self-confidence. The time commitment is one hour per week.
Read on if you think SNAP may be a good match for you.

___

VOLUNTEERS WANTED 1 HOUR PER WEEK IN BERKELEY!

Hi Potential SNAPer!

Welcome to Water Magic!  We are looking for some talented, bright,
energetic, and water friendly folks to work with our special swimmers
in the water.

SNAP stands for the Special Needs Aquatic Program. SNAP is a motor
development program in the water for children with physical and/or
cognitive challenges. SNAP strives to help kids with special needs
feel pride and self-confidence while helping to build stronger bodies,
build friendships, and have fun.

Volunteers work one-on-one with our swimmers in the water each week
under the supervision of a head instructor and physical therapist.
You will learn about the needs of your special child, learn best how
to work with him or her, how to improve motor and social skills, have
the opportunity to build a friendship with a special kid, and have
lots of fun.

To work with our special swimmers in the water you must be a good
swimmer, have a warm spirit and humor, and enjoy working with
children.  We request that our volunteers commit ONE HOUR a week for
at least ONE SEMESTER to work with our special swimmers. Our semesters
tend to follow the CAL Berkeley calendar with locations close to
campus.  Classes begin September 26th and while we prefer folks to
start early, we do accept new helpers throughout the semester. Classes
are held on Mondays and Wednesdays at the Berkeley High School warm
pool (Durant and Milvia) at 4:30, 5:30 and 6:30 pm. On Fridays we swim
at the Berkeley YMCA (Alston and Milvia) with classes at 5:00 and
6:00. Training is provided. Our New Helper Orientation and Training is
set for Sunday, September 23rd from 1:00-4:00 at the Berkeley High
warm pool. Additional training is provided throughout the semester.

We need volunteers so our special kids can swim. If you are interested
in working with a special kid and volunteering with SNAP, please drop
us a line at snapkids at earthlink.net.

See you in the water!

Dori

Dori Maxon PT,PCS,MEd - Director