[BHS etree] SUPT: Fourth of July in Berkeley Dos and Don'ts

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Jul 3 16:20:24 PDT 2007

The City of Berkeley has given me this important information to share with
our school community. Have a safe and happy Independence Day, and if you
do have any problems, the necessary phone numbers and instructions are
below.

Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fourth of July in Berkeley Dos and Don'ts

Berkeley, California (Tuesday, July 3, 2007)  - Berkeley residents are
being reminded that especially in this dry fire season, there are no safe
fireworks.

"The Marina is a great place to celebrate the Fourth of July safely," said
Berkeley Fire Marshal Gil Dong. "But right now, it's hot and dry, and
fireworks aren't safe."

The ban against fireworks will be strictly enforced, according to the
Berkeley Fire Department and the Berkeley Police Department. So-called
"Safe and Sane" fireworks, including sparklers, are also prohibited and
are a fire hazard.

Between 2003-2005, there were five building and outdoor fires caused by
fireworks in the City of Berkeley. An average of seven people are killed
annually as a direct result of fireworks in California.

The City of Berkeley invites the public to an exciting day of activities
on July 4th at the Berkeley Marina.  There is no charge for admission to
this alcohol-free event, which will run from noon until 10:00 p.m.
Activities will include entertainers, arts & crafts, free sailboat rides,
free dragon boat rides, and a fireworks show off the end of the Berkeley
Pier at 9:30 p.m. For more information about the event, visit the City's
Community Calendar at [
http://www.cityofberkeley.info/communitycalendar/default.asp
]http://www.cityofberkeley.info/communitycalendar/default.asp.

A few notes about getting to the Marina:

·       University Avenue will be closed from West Frontage Road to the
Marina at this time. Pedestrians will have access to these roadways
throughout the event.

·       Access from I-80 into the City of Berkeley will be closed from
University Avenue and from Gilman Street during the fireworks display.

·       Access to the fishing pier will be closed to pedestrians at
approximately 5 p.m. in preparation for the show.

·       Cars will not be allowed in after 7 p.m. and will not be allowed
out until after 10:00 p.m.

You can help keep our community safe by:

·       Not using any type of fireworks;

·       Calling the police to report use of fireworks by others;

·       Reducing fuel sources by keeping grass and vegetation cut back;

·       Have fire extinguishers and garden hoses ready.

BPD will have extra officers working on July 4, and will be arresting and
citing violators. Possession of M-80’s, M-1000’s and Rocket type fireworks
is a felony.

To notify BPD about illegal fireworks use, call 981-5900, or 981-5911 via
cell phone. If you have question concerning the possession or use of
fireworks, please call our Community Services Bureau at 981-5806.

_______________________________
Mary Kay Clunies-Ross
Public Information Officer
City of Berkeley