[BHS etree] SAD NEWS: 2006 BHS Graduate Killed in Alabama

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue May 1 15:03:58 PDT 2007

Contact: Mark Coplan [mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Canon Jones, Berkeley High School Class of 2006 was robbed and
murdered last night outside of his university dorm in Alabama. It is
obvious that this young man was very involved in our community, as I
have already heard about this tragic loss from CAS at Berkeley High,
BUSD Transportation staff and the Berkeley Boosters.  They have all
asked me to share information about Canon with the greater community,
so I have included something from each of their communications.

Mark Coplan, BUSD PIO

From:	Berkeley High: Communication Arts & Sciences (CAS)

Dear Friends:
I am writing to inform you that a star CAS graduate from last year,
Canon Jones, was murdered last night. He was in Alabama where he was a
freshman at Tuskegee University. We are, once again, struggling to
deal with a senseless tragedy and an almost overwhelming feeling of
loss.

Canon was a wise, kind, mature young man, a loyal and supportive
friend and a beloved, exceptional student. We'll share information
concerning memorials as it comes to us. In the meantime, we have
arranged for counselors to be available in C-418 and in the Health
Center throughout the week for students and teachers.

As  always, we are appreciative of the ways in which our community
supports one another.

Sincerely,
Phil Halpern
Amy Crawford
From: BUSD Transportation

Canon Jones joined our transportation family when his aunt,
Annette-Johnson Banks, came to BUSD in 1991. Annette started as a
school bus driver and is currently the Router/Scheduler in
Transportation. Canon has been a presence at Transportation, we have
watched him grow into an accomplished young man. Last summer he worked
for Transportation, preparing himself for the big transition to
college at Tuskegee.

All of us at Transportation are deeply saddened by his passing.

Donations to his family can be sent to Melba Lazenby at BUSD
Transportation (510-644-6182). Checks can be made out to Annette
Johnson-Banks.