[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: DEAR Day Needs Readers - March 13th

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Feb 28 09:48:54 PST 2007

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY to the etree, contact Berkeley School Volunteers
(644-8833) or Mark Coplan [mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Mark Coplan writes:
Middle & High School Parents:

Berkeley School Volunteers need 30 more readers for DEAR Day (Drop
Everything and Read) on March 13th. This is a great opportunity for
those of us parents whose children in middle and high school are not
so receptive to seeing our faces in their classrooms. Remember how
wonderful it was to spend time in their elementary classes? You can go
back in time for this one morning and make Tuesday the 13th your best
day of the week.

Berkeley School Volunteers write:

Can you give just one hour to our public schools this year?

Please join us for
DEAR Day
Drop Everything and Read
in the Berkeley public schools

Tuesday March 13th, 2007   9:30 am

Why we do it: This event allows our community members to become
involved with our schools and directly advocate the merits of reading
to the youngest members of our city.

How it works: Members of the community sign up to be a DEAR reader and
are assigned to a classroom in an elementary or pre-school.  The
readers all go to their assigned classrooms on the same day and time,
arriving by 9:20 am. Each reader brings a book of their choice and
reads for twenty minutes after which the children go back to their
"normal" school day schedule. If you need help selecting a book, the
Berkeley Public Libraries are prepared to provide assistance.

How to sign up: If you'd like to be a reader, please return to
attached portion to Berkeley School Volunteers no later than March 2,
2007. Your assignment will arrive in early March, but please save the
date now; once you've returned the form we are counting on you unless
you inform us otherwise. If you have any questions, please don't
hesitate to call us.

Thanks!        Berkeley School Volunteers    Phone: 644-883

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD
510-644-6320
Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us