[BHS etree] SUPT: denise brown

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sat Feb 3 18:31:57 PST 2007

It is with deep anguish that I reach out to share with you, the passing of
denise brown, beloved BUSD administrator, teacher, and parent. We are all
still in a state of shock, and do not have any of the details, except that
while at an appointment with her doctor following her recent knee surgery,
there were complications and she was rushed to the hospital with a blood
clot where she died on Friday afternoon.

This is going to be a very difficult time for everyone, so Jim Slemp has
already met with his administrators to plan for Monday when everyone
returns to school. The teachers will have a message from Mr. Slemp to read
to their first period class, explaining that Care Rooms have been set up
for students and staff, what counseling services will be available and
what we can all do to get through this together. We are requesting
additional support from the City of Berkeley Mental Health Services. Every
effort is being made to address the needs of our students and staff, and
to that effect, the media will not be allowed anywhere on the Berkeley
High or LeConte campuss’.

Many of you knew denise in her role as Dean of Discipline, or a favorite
Vice Principal at Berkeley High. Many others knew her from her 10 years as
a kindergarten teacher at LeConte Elementary School, where she taught all
of LeConte’s children how to sing and dance, perform theater and present
themselves without fear, and to feel good about themselves. When she moved
on to Berkeley High she continued to help kids deal with their fears, on a
completely different level. Like my own son, many of our children were
blessed to have known her in both places. My first memory of her was when
David was in the third grade, and she cast him as the police officer who
arrested Rosa Parks. She assured me at the time that he would be a better
person for the experience. She really did love all of our children, and I
am so grateful for that.

The family is not ready to make decisions about the services, but we will
share information as we receive it.

Through my own tears of grief,

Mark Coplan, BUSD Public Information Officer