[BHS etree] ADMIN: New Counselor Caseloads

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Feb 1 11:03:47 PST 2007

Etree note: The following letter is from the BHS Counseling office,
and following that is a list of the new line-up of counseling
assignments.

January 26, 2007

To all students:

As you may have heard by now, Berkeley High has hired two new
counselors, thanks to a new source of funding from the state. This is
great news, and will allow us to decrease each counselor's caseload
and give them more time to devote to each student. As a result, we are
reorganizing the assignments, according to the list on the back of
this letter.

>From now on, there will be a different counselor for each small
school, and each counselor will also be taking on some additional
students so that the loads are fairly balanced.

Our two new counselors are Erica Rains Vargas, who will be working
with SSJE, and Caren Ohlson, who is taking on all the students in CPA.
Some of you may remember Ms. Ohlson from the days when she was
assistant to Principal Jim Slemp. We are lucky to have both of them
with us, and we are sure you are going to love them.

Many of the changes in assignment involve seniors, but since the
college recommendation letters have already been written and sent out,
that should not present a problem.

The counseling department has spent a lot of time and thought on the
best way to reassign students with the least disruption possible. We
recognize that it's frustrating making a change in the middle of the
school year, but we think that in the long run, everyone will be
happier when the counselors have more time for each of you.

Looking forward to seeing all of you,

Best wishes,
The Counseling Staff

COUNSELOR CASELOADS

EL:			Madeleine Scott
D145		644-4572
AHA!:			Teri Goodman
A102		644-6711
CAS:			Elisabeth Sandberg
C420		644-6193
CPA:			Caren Ohlson
D149		644-8987
SSJE:			Erica Rains-Vargas
C302		486-8807
BIHS:			Susan Werd
D146		883-5217
Life Academy:	Jarod Bordi   					H104A
644-6675

9th - 11th Grade ACC and Comprehensive School

A - F:			Joel Medina
D144		644-4569
G - L: 		Brenda Wong   					D143
644-4579