[BHS etree] THANK YOU: Berkeley High School From Yonas Mehari Family

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Dec 21 11:29:21 PST 2006

The following is a letter from the Mehari family, with thanks to the
entire Berkeley High community:

December 17, 2006

Dear Berkeley High School,
	On behalf of the Mehari Family, we would like to thank you for
all of the supportive measures you have taken to support our family,
as we cope with the loss of our mother Regbe, sister Winta, and
brother Yonas.   We realize that everyone at BHS was involved in the
supportive efforts.  We would like to thank the entire BHS faculty,
staff, students, and especially Yonas' teammates, classmates and
clubmates. We appreciate all of your concern, support, thoughts and
prayers during this very difficult time in our family.  On Thursday,
December 7, the burial ceremony for Mama Regbe, Winta and Yonas was
held in Eritrea, East Africa.  Our brother Angesom is currently
recovering from the serious injuries he sustained when he jumped out
of the third story window to avoid being shot.  Luckily he is not
paralyzed and is undergoing physical therapy.  The tremendous
fundraising efforts by Berkeley High School have helped take care of
funeral expenses and future medical expenses.  Additionally, all of
the support from Berkeley High School has helped the world to see just
how special Yonas was to so many people.

	We would like to thank everyone who has taken the time and
effort to keep Yonas Mehari's legacy alive.  Thanks to the
administration at Berkeley High School, especially Principal Mr. Jim
Slemp, Vice Principal Ms. Rory Bled, and Ms. Ilene Abrams.  Thanks to
Coach Eugenio "Janu" Juarez and the BHS soccer team for dedicating
this season to Yonas Mehari.  We would also like to thank and
encourage the Eritrean-Ethiopian Club that Yonas co-founded.  You are
the future of our region and we encourage you to carry on the vision
that Yonas dreamt of.  We would also like to especially thank Mr.
Carlos Bustamante, Khusba Neupan, and Mable Kimble for speaking at the
prayer service we held.

	On behalf of the Mehari Family, again we would like to say
THANK YOU Berkeley High School!  Happy Holidays!

Sincerely,
Mehari Family