[BHS etree] PTSA: Good Info to read before PTSA Meeting

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Nov 16 08:35:52 PST 2006

The California Department of Education sponsered a California Healthy
Kids Survey (CHKS), which includes a report on the Berkeley Unified
Schools.  The link to the report is at:

<http://www.wested.org//chks/pdf/rpts_dl/s06s_01_61143.pdf>http://www.wested.org//chks/pdf/rpts_dl/s06s_01_61143.pdf

The CHKS is a service provided by the California Department of
Education (CDE) to districts that want to collect information on the
health risks and resilience of their students. This report provides a
summary of the survey's purpose and key findings relating to
substance use, violence and safety, and poor physical health.  While
it is essential to identify and address student problems, it is also
important that we do not lose sight of the positive behaviors and
attitudes of most youth.  The CHKS provides the data to do this. This
report summarizes the results for key indicators of risk and
well-being.

The report is about 20 pages with lots of graphs -- a fairly quick
and easy read.  We hope you'll take a look at it before the meeting
as it provides some good general information.  Thanks and we'll see
you tomorrow.