[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: Help needed starting with registration

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Aug 10 15:33:25 PDT 2006

contact: Janet Huseby, Volunteer Coordinator at jhuseby at pacbell.net
<mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net>

The summer is slowly (rapidly?)  coming to an end. A sure sign is this
"beginning of the school year" call for volunteers.  It is a wonderful time
to be on the Berkeley High campus.  There is the hustle and bustle of new
beginnings and fresh starts, new outfits and new teachers, and your
contribution at this time makes a significant difference.

Below is a list of volunteer needs over the next month.  Please look it over
and see if there is some way you can fit in a few hours to help launch the
new school year.  If you can help, contact Janet Huseby at
jhuseby at pacbell.net

FIRST PRIORITY!
1. Registration runs from Tuesday, August 22 to Friday, August 25.  Picture
IDs will be taken, forms collected, and schedules and lockers distributed.
We need a minimum of eight volunteers in the morning and the afternoon: 8:45
to 11:45 a.m. and 12:45 to 3:45 p.m. Because this is before school and
teachers will not be on campus, temporary parking permits will be available.
Great fun as you will be connecting with hundreds of students!

Next Priorities.
2. On the first day of school we need eight volunteers at 7:30 a.m. and six
during lunch (11:15 to 12:15)  to help with kids who missed registration.

3.  For the first nine days we will need four or five volunteers to collect
attendance records from classes for the first nine days of schools during
2nd and 3rd period (9:30 to 10:30 roughly). Explanation:    At the beginning
of the year, some classes are over enrolled and others are under enrolled
due to "no shows." But classes can not be shifted or increased until it is
confirmed that the "no shows" really have not shown.  To do so, attendance
must be carefully collected and recorded. This job is VERY important and
gives you a chance to visit many classrooms

4. We will need "runners" throughout the first few weeks to deliver schedule
changes to students who have put in a schedule change form. Explanation: The
last day students may put in a schedule change request is Friday, September
1. Students must attend all classes on the schedule which they collect
during registration (no matter how off or wrong).  Counselors will get back
in touch with them as fast as possible by sending runners with the new
schedule to the classes found on the old schedule.

5. Finally in a few days I will be putting out a call for volunteers
interested in manning the Front Desk for a 1.5 hour shift on a weekly basis.
Please watch the etree.

If you can help on any of these times, please let me (Janet Huseby jhuseby
at pacbell.net <http://idiom.com/mailman/listinfo/bhs> ) know. Not only will
you be greatly appreciated, the beginning of school is an exciting time to
be on campus.
Janet

Janet Huseby
BHS Volunteer Coordinator