[BHS etree] VOLUNTEERS: STAR Testing and the AP exams

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Apr 3 21:58:27 PDT 2006

Please do not hit reply, contact: jhuseby at pacbell.net
<mailto:jhuseby at pacbell.net>

Berkeley High administers three sets of tests each year: the
California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE), the California
Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR), and the Advanced Placement
(AP) exams. The last of the three CAHSEE exams was offered in March.
All 9th, 10th and 11th grade students will take the STAR exam during
the last week of April, and the AP exams will be offered during the
first two weeks of May. Each set is a massive undertaking and simply
could not be done without the generous help of our community--that is
you, dear readers.

1. STAR SORTING: Before the STAR exam can be given the Administration
must sort and label four tests and one answer sheet for each
individual student into second period groups. In all, close to 10,000
pieces of paper must be shuffled--a huge job.  Under the direction of
Carol Olson the sorting and labeling of the STAR test has begun in
the west gallery of the Community Theater.  She will be in the
gallery from 11 to 4 on Wednesday, April 5 and from 8 a.m. until 3
p.m. on Thursday and Friday.  On April 18, 19, 20, and 21 she will be
back at work sorting, labeling and shuffling.  She is hoping parents
can come in either this week or the week after spring break to lend a
hand in one or two hour shifts. If you can, please let Janet Huseby
(jhuseby at pacbell.net) know when you can come help.

2. STAR TESTING: The STAR tests will be given in the mornings
Tuesday, April 25 to Friday, April 28. Students' 2nd period teachers
will administer the test.  (Special arrangements will be made for
students who proctor 2nd period.)  Volunteer help will be needed to
distribute the sorted class boxes and to be runners throughout the
mornings.  If you can help, please contact
Janet Huseby (jhuseby at pacbell.net) and let her know what days and
times you can come.

3. A SHORT WORD about the STAR test:  The infamous "No Child Left
Behind" legislation requires every school have a 95% participation
rate for the STAR test.  If we fail to come up with the 95%, even if
those who DO take the test do very well, Berkeley High will be
labeled as "under performing" and penalized.  That is, we will be
required to shift resources from classrooms to private tutoring
agencies. It is unfair yet it is the law.  Please make sure that your
child takes the exams.

 4. The AP EXAM: This year, as last, we are administering thousands
of AP tests.  On most days during the first two weeks of May we will
be needing parents to proctor for either the morning session
(starting at 7:30) or the afternoon session (starting at 11:30).  If
your child is taking one AP exam (or more) please count on proctoring
another exam.  I will be back with more details after spring break.

5. Have a nice spring break.

Janet Huseby