[BHS etree] ADMIN: Poetry Slam & Writing Workshops, Mondays 4-6pm

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sun Feb 5 08:41:34 PST 2006

Please do not hit reply, contact Rick Ayers,
mailto:rick-ayers at earthlink.net

WRITE TO THE MIC
Facilitators: Slam Champ Rafael Casal and
Youth Speaks Director of Education Hodari Davis

Whether slam poetry, speech oratory, or music, this workshop is here
for folks who want to be heard at their best.  Join an outstanding
group of talented poets, both experienced performers, and newcomers
to the stage, as we develop the material and skills to perform with
urgency, and from the heart.

Rafael Casal is a three-time Youth Speaks Teen Poetry Slam Champion,
and two-time Brave New Voices National Youth Poetry Slam Champion.
He has been featured for the past two seasons on Russel Simmon's Def
Poetry on HBO. Over the past few years he has performed for crowds as
large as 20,000, and has rocked the mic with the likes of Kanye West,
De La Soul, Talib Kweli, Common, Alanis Morisette, and numerous
others.

Hodari Davis is former Ethnic Studies and History teacher at Berkeley
High, still a beloved member of our community.  His work with Youth
Speaks has brought his considerable powers of outreach to young
people to the task of developing powerful spoken word.

Every Monday, 4PM - 6PM
Berkeley High
C Building Room 324,
1980 Allston Way,