[BHS etree] URBAN ED 101: For Tutors, study group leaders, volunteers and teachers

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Feb 1 15:33:17 PST 2006

Berkeley High School Academic Support Network Presents:

URBAN ED 101: For Tutors, study group leaders, volunteers and
teachers

Friday February 3rd 2006 3:30 - 5pm
Berkeley High School Library
1980 Allston Way

The Achievement Gap and the Condition of Public Education - Antwi
Akom*

Critical Pedagogy: Gangstaz, Wankstaz and Ridaz - Jeff
Duncan-Andrade*

* Antwi Akom and Jeff Duncan-Andrade are Co-Directors of Educational
Equity Initiative at the Cesar Chavez Institute, community activists
and Professors at San Francisco State University.

THIS WORKSHOP ADDRESSES:
1. Transforming the cultures of our schools to support increased
academic achievement, student empowerment and social justice.
2. The larger issues affecting urban education and our youth 3. Why
student support programs for low-income under-represented students
exist 4. The limits of good intentions in urban schools 5. What is
the role of race, class, community in the production of educational
advantage and disadvantage?
6. Effective strategies to work with Youth

This is brought to you by:
The BHS Academic Support Network, a newly formed collaborative
initiated by various academic support programs on the BHS campus, to
create community among our staff and improve student services.

For more information contact Jeannine Villasenor at
jvillasenor at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Jeannine Villasenor
Academic Pathways (AP Project)
Berkeley High School