[BHS etree] CAS: Paella Dinner Fundraiser - Jan. 14

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sun Jan 8 16:49:30 PST 2006

Please do not hit reply, contact Rick Ayers,
mailto:rayers at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Dear Berkeley High families

I’m writing to let you know of a very important trip we are
organizing.  We are taking six CAS students to the World Social Forum
in Caracas, Venezuela, at the end of the month.  This international
gathering of hundreds of activist and community groups, is a popular
response to the World Economic Forum held by the big economic powers
of the world.  The World Social Forum will be gathering over 100,000
people for a week beginning January 23.  Our CAS students will go to
learn, to share stories from the US, and to bring back documentation
(video and radio – in association with Youth Radio).

We are desperately trying to raise funds for this trip. Three of our
students need scholarships.  I and my co-chaperone Sophie Simon-Ortiz
(CAS ’04) are paying our whole way ourselves. But we are still about
$3,000 short in our fundraising.  We are having a big Paella dinner
(served in authentic Spanish fashion by CAS parent Victoria Párraga)
next Saturday, January 14.  The dinner will be at the home of a CAS
parent at 8 PM and will feature hors d’oeuvres, sangria, and the best
paella you’ve ever tasted.  The cost will be $50 each and we are
trying to sell 30 tickets.  If we sell more, the party will just get
bigger!

You can reserve your tickets, or make a donation, by contacting my by
email.  Also, you can talk to CAS students who are going on the trip
(listed below) to get tickets.  (They have to sell 5 each, so they
will thank you!).  It is an expensive dinner, but worth it.  And,
depending on the number of food donations we can get, it will raise a
good deal of money!

Please contact me for ticket information or to support the Venezuela
trip in any way.

Thank you,
Rick Ayers

Roster of CAS students going to Venezuela, January 23–31:

Badal, Hannah
Blanco, Carlos
Campbell, Xochitl
Taboada, Arianna