[BHS etree] COLLEGE/CAREER: Advisor's Bulletin for 10/24/05

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Sun Oct 23 08:30:12 PDT 2005

College Advisor's Bulletin
Monday, October 24, 2005

SAT WORD OF THE DAY:    CALLOUS – showing lack of feeling of sympathy.
I decided to find a dentist who uses anesthesia after my previous
dentist’s callous disregard for my suffering.

The next senior parent’s College Night will be held on Tuesday, October
25 at 6:30 in the BHS library.  Speakers include the new director of
admissions at UC Berkeley and representatives from the California State
University system, a private university and community colleges.  I look
forward to seeing you all!

Other upcoming events for senior parents are:  A two-part financial aid
workshop – November 10 and December 6, both at 6:30 in the BHS library.

HELP NEEDED FROM PARENTS – Ms. Harris will be out of town on November
8, 9 and 10.  Berkeley High parents, you are so generous with your
time.  Thanks to you, all shifts have now been filled except for
November 8th from 8 to 10.  Please let me know if you can staff all or
part of this shift.

FOR SENIORS
Parents – Did you miss the Senior Parent Night presentation on
September 25?  You can now borrow a video of the meeting.  Please
e-mail me if you are interested and I will put your name on the list.

COLLEGE REPRESENTATIVE VISITS.  The October list is available in D221.
Sign up to get more information on colleges from around the country.
You must have your teacher’s signed authorization to attend each
session.  Visits are as follows:

TODAY, Monday, October 24
8:30 Barnard (NY)
9:30 Scripps (CA)
2:20 Columbia College Chicago (IL)

Tuesday, October 25
10:35 Americorps City Year San Jose

Wednesday, October 26
8:30 Beloit (WI)
10:40 Emerson (MA)
12:20 Tufts (MA)

ESSAY READERS ARE HERE
UPDATED TIMES - Do you need some help with your college application
essay?  Starting this week, essay readers will be available day before
school, at lunch every day, and after school (except Friday after
school).  Essay readers will also be available on Wednesdays, 6th
period, for seniors who do not have a class then.

ESSAY WRITING WORKSHOPS
Sign up in D221
3:30 p.m., Monday, October 24

UC/CSU Application workshops – in the library computer lab
7:30 a.m., Tuesday, October 25
3:30 p.m, Wednesday, November 2
7:30 a.m., Thursday, November 3
3:30 p.m., Monday, November 7

COLLEGE INFORMATION SESSIONS IN THE BAY AREA
October 24 – Notre Dame information, De La Salle High School, 1130
Winton Drive, Concord, 7:30 p.m.
October 25 – Duke University Information Session, San Francisco Public
Library, Presidio Branch, 3150 Sacramento St. (near Baker), SF,
4:00-5:30 p.m.
*October 30 – Dartmouth College information session.  Doubletree Hotel
Berkeley, 200 Marina Blvd., 4:00 p.m.

SCHOLARSHIPS
National High School Essay Contest of the Alpha Rho Chapter of Omego
Psi Phi Fraternity.  Submit essay titled, “Can Economic and Political
Empowerment Lead to Social Change?”  Application available in D221.
Award: $500-$3,000 per student.  Postmark Deadline: November 1.

Don and Roy Splawn Charitable Foundation West.  Award:  up to $1,000
based on financial need, academic qualifications, dedication to school,
community and family, and extraordinary circumstances.  Based primarily
on overcoming personal challenges.  Apply online only at
www.fsrequests.com/splawn.  Deadline:  January 20, 5:00 p.m. EST.

Looking for some unusual scholarships?  Go to
http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/unusual.phtml and check out the
“Little People of America” and the “Tall Clubs International”
scholarships, among many others.

FOR JUNIORS AND SENIORS
COLLEGE FAIR – Saturday, October 29 at UC Berkeley Wheeler Auditorium,
8:30-1:00 p.m.  Over 60 public and private college and university
representatives will be present.  Workshops in English and Spanish on
admission requirements, financial aid and scholarships, and more.  For
more information, go to www.eastbayconsortium.org.

SAT/ACT TEST DATES – October 28 is the regular registration deadline
for the December 3 SAT and SAT subject tests. November 4 is the regular
registration for the December 10 ACT.  These are the last tests
recommended for the UC and Cal State campuses, as well as many private
schools.  For the UC’s, please remember that you must register by the
regular registration deadline and list all of your colleges on the
registration form to receive scores.  You can update this information
up to the Wednesday after the SAT test.

FOR ALL STUDENTS
HIGH SCHOOL STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS AND STUDY ABROAD OPPORTUNITIES –
The World Affairs Council and the Youth For Understanding USA offers
scholarships to Northern California high school students to study
abroad for a summer, semester or year.  Applications for both the
scholarship and study abroad program are available in the
College/Career Center and at www.itsyourworld.org/schools or at
www.yfu-usa.org.  Recommendations are required.  Postmark deadline:
December 13.

*New to the bulletin today.