[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 9/13/05

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Sep 12 21:54:07 PDT 2005

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
Tuesday, September 13, 2005
Contact:  Belinda McDaniel  bmcdaniel at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Administration

1.	Students:  If you need to take the Exit Exam, please make sure to
report to the jacket Gym at 7:30 on Tuesday for English and Wednesday
for Math. And remember that you get tutoring for the Exit Exam in the
Student Learning Center!

2.	Spirit Week for fall 2005 will begin October 31 and will be a four
day event since there is no school that Friday.  On Saturday, November
5th the Homecoming game against Encinal High and our Homecoming dance
will occur. If you have any thoughts about there plans, please submit a
written response to the leadership office in the main office by Friday,
September
16th.

3.	Have a voice in your school events.  Leadership is planning to hold
a Back to School Dance on September 23rd.  It will be open to the whole
school and will take place in the Student Union.  If you are interested
or have comments, please submit a written response into the leadership
box in the main office.

Clubs
1.	Want to start a club?  Club forms are now available in the main
office. Please return all finished forms to Nikita Goodno's box in room
D148.

2.	Hey Berkeley High School:  Are you interested in joining Best
Buddies, a club that matches students with and without intellectual
disabilities in one-to-one friendships?  If so, please come to our
first informational meeting at lunch on Thursday, September 15th in
H106.  See ya there!

3.	Chicano/ Latino graduation: Come help plan for 2006 Graduation in
room G111 on Wednesday 9/14.

4.	BHSHC: This is the last week to apply for the BHSHC Peer Health
Education Program.  As a peer educator, you will have the chance to
give
in class presentations and do outreach in alcohol and drug prevention,
vehicle and bike safety and HIV, SII and pregnancy prevention.  Pick up
applications at the health center in room H105.  The deadline to turn
in applications is Thursday, September 15.

5.	Berkeley High School Health Center is looking for members to join
the Youth Advisors.  If you are interested in taking an active role on
health related issues on campus- pick up an application at the Health
Center located in the H building room 105.

6.	The Raza Club meets again!  We are inviting Chicanos, Latinos and
allies.  Latino staff is especially welcomed to our meetings.  We will
be having our meetings every Wednesday at lunch in C124.  Our first
meeting will be on September 14th at lunch.  We hope to see you there!

7.	The scrapbook club will have an interest meeting on Thursday,
September 15th at 4:00 p.m. in conference room B.

8.	Hey chess players and wanna be chess players!  The BHS chess club
and team will meet every Thursday in C125 from 3:30 to 5:00 pm starting
this Thursday, September 15th.  Our team will be selected from our club
and will be competing in this year's National Championship in
Milwaukee,
Wisconsin's.

9.	Hey you Jews!  Come to the first meeting of the Jewish Student Union
in A105 on Tuesday, September 13th at lunch.  Food will be provided.

Sports
1.	All girls interested in trying out for BHS girl's basketball must
come
to a meeting on Thursday 9/15 at 4:00 pm upstairs in the old gym in
M202.

2.	Students who are interested in announcing at this seasons football
and basketball games should see Mrs. Glenchur in the Athletic Office
next week at lunch.

3.	Attention all students who want to try out for a winter sport-
basketball, soccer or wrestling.  SCHEDULE YOUR PHYSICAL APPT AT THE
HEALTH CENTER OR DOCTOR NOW.  You must have a complete athletic packet,
including physical, to turn in to the coach on Monday, Nov. 7, the
first day of tryouts. Do not turn in physicals to the athletic office
prior to
that date.

4.	Baseball players:  All players interested in playing on a BHS
Baseball team, who did not play for BHS last year, should come to a
lunchtime meeting on Tuesday, September 13th in  room C128.

5.	All students interested in running track and field in the spring
should come to an informational meeting on Tuesday, September 20th on
the BHS and Wednesdays.  Boys will be in the Jacket Gym from 4:00 -
6:00 pm on gym.

THIS IS NOT TRYOUTS.
Senior / Junior Section
1.	College Fair: Sunday, September 18, 10:00-3:00pm at JF Kennedy High
School, 4300 Cutting Blvd.  Richmond, CA.  Many historically Black
Colleges and Universities, UC Berkeley, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Riverside,
San Francisco State, Sonoma State and many more.  If you have a 2.0 or
above, bring several copies of your transcript and test scores and you
can talk one on one with official college admissions representatives.

2.	Attention all students we need artists to create designs for the
senior, Junior, sophomore and Freshman t-shirts.  Turn  them into Ms.
McKnight-Johnson's mailbox with your first and last name second period
teachers name and ID.  Thank you.

3.	Seniors - College Representative visits are starting.  The complete
September lists are available in D221.  Sign up to get more information
on colleges from around the country.  You must have your teacher's
signed authorization to attend each session.  The first week's visits
are as
follows:
Wednesday, September 14
8:30	Yale (CT)
9:30	Brown (RI)
1:20	Whitman (WA)
2:20	Vanderbilt (TN)
Thursday, September 15
2:20 	Wheaton (MA)

Friday, September 16
8:30	Cal Tech (CA)
1:20	Fordham (NY)

Events/ Performance

1.	Designs for shirts and hats for the class of 07 homecoming packet
are needed!  Pleas submit ideas to the Jr. Class President Kai Grace
Tuesday at lunch in Conference Room B.