[BHS etree] PARENT RESOUCE CENTER: Greetings From the BHS Parent Resource Center

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Sep 7 08:29:14 PDT 2005

Contact: Irma Parker, irma_parker at berkeley.k12.ca.us, 644-8524

Greetings from the Berkeley High School Parent Resource Center.

Welcome back to a brand new school year to all returning students as
well as new students and their families. I know this school year will
be filled with new possibilities, hopes and dreams of better things
to come at BHS.  I hope that all of our families had a wonderful
summer vacation.  I further hope that no one has lost loved ones in
the Hurricane that hit the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, and
Alabama; I hope we will keep those families in our prayers.

What is the Parent Resource Center?

The Parent Resource Center is a place where parents can come and feel
welcome, have a sense of belonging and be reassured that their
concerns, ideas and issues are valued.  It is a safe environment for
growing, learning and connecting.

The core services of the Parent Resource center include: Information
Dissemination, Referrals/Resources, Parent Advocacy, Family Health
and Wellness, Life Skill Workshops, Lost and Found, Discount youth
BART tickets and Drop in availability.

Our Goal

Quality service is our #1 goal.  Parents are treated with dignity and
respect and receive courteous service with every visit or telephone
call.

Where is the BHS Parent Resource Center?

The Parent Resource Center has relocated to the second floor of the D
building, which is the main Administration Building.  The room number
is D-224 and is located across the hall from the College Career
Center next to the Library.  The center is open for service from 8:00
am - 3:30 pm, Monday - Friday.  The phone number is (510) 644-8524.
If you are elderly or disabled and need assistance to reach the
center, please stop at the front desk to obtain an elevator key.  To
use the elevator key, place the key in the slot and turn to the
right, while pushing the elevator button.  After you have entered the
elevator repeat the process and push the number 2 button.  The
elevator will then deliver you to the 2nd floor.

BART tickets will next be ordered on September 29 and 30th.  Ticket
price is $16.00 for a $32.00 value ride.  All orders must be in cash,
as BART will not accept personal checks.  Orders may be in multiple
numbers.  Ticket orders are taken at lunchtime only, location to be
announced at later date.  Students should listen for location of
ticket sales during reading of Daily Bulletin.  I will also post the
date, time and location to the e-tree.  I am working with BART
officials to try and purchase 100 BART tickets to have in the Parent
Center so that we will not have to wait so long for orders to be
returned to us.  I will have to try and do a fundraiser to get the
funds to buy the tickets.  I will keep you informed of my progress.

Attention African American 9th Grade Parents!!

Please prepare to attend the 9th Grade Coffee Meeting with the
principal when notified.  These meetings are especially important and
present the opportunity for you to get answers to many of the
questions you may have.  If you need assistance getting to the
meeting, please call the Parent Center so that we may assist you in
order for you to attend the meeting.

I would like to take this opportunity to THANK all of the parents who
have donated school supplies such as: Backpacks, composition
notebooks, filler paper and Binders.  We have students throughout the
year who are in need of these and other school supplies.  A heartfelt
Thank you.

Upcoming workshops and events will be posted soon.

Last but not least, the Parent Center will be working with parents to
help in any way we can with the relief efforts for victims of
Hurricane Katrina.  If you are interested in being a part of this
effort please contact the Parent Center at (510) 644-8524

Irma Parker
Parent Liaison, BHS Parent Resource Center