[BHS etree] COLLEGE/CAREER: Advisor's Bulletin for 08-31-05

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Aug 30 18:56:08 PDT 2005

College Advisor's Bulletin
Wednesday, August 31, 2005
Contact: Ilene Abrams  iabrams at berkeley.k12.ca.us

WELCOME BACK!  PLEASE STOP BY AND SAY HELLO AND LET US KNOW ABOUT
YOUR SUMMER EXPERIENCES.

Please also welcome our new College Advisor, Roland Stringfellow.
After working last year at Berkeley High as a counselor and then vice
principal, Mr. Stringfellow will join me this year in the
College/Career Center on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays.  With this
new addition to our staff, we will be able to assist more students in
making their post-high school plans.

SAT WORD OF THE DAY:   ASCERTAIN - to make sure of something; to
verify.  To ascertain the correct meaning of a word, look it up in
the dictionary.

FOR ALL STUDENTS

Please come by and check out our college and career books and college
catalogues, find a great place to study, get tutoring help or discuss
possible careers for your future.  We look forward to meeting you.

FOR SENIORS

SENIORS:  Mr. Stringfellow and I will be speaking to your English
classes beginning on September 12th and setting up individual
appointments the following week.  Until then, you may stop by at
lunch or after school to get your questions answered.

REMINDER:  If you are applying to private colleges which need a
counselor recommendation, your Senior Profiles are due on September
9th if you are applying Early Decision or Early Action and September
23rd for Regular Decision.  You do NOT need to fill these out if you
are applying only the UC’s, Cal State Universities or community
colleges.

FOR JUNIORS AND SENIORS

SAT/ACT TEST DATES - Friday, September 2 is the late registration
deadline for the September 24 ACT test.  Tuesday, September 7 is the
regular registration deadline for the October 8 SAT and SAT subject
tests.

JOB INFORMATION
East Bay Municipal Utility District has an opening for a worker
trainee, preferably a junior or senior in high school who is at least
16 years old and has a minimum of 2.0 GPA.  Students must be
available to work 3 to 4 consecutive hours between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00
p.m. Monday through Friday for a maximum of 19.5 hours per week.
Applications available in D221.  For more information, call Frances
Chung, 510-287-0724.

Lawrence Berkeley Lab is looking for a senior to work as a student
assistant for two hours per day, in the computing sciences/human
resources department.  General office work, should know Microsoft
Office and enjoy working with people.  $7.00 an hour.  Free shuttle
available from downtown Berkeley.  Contact Susan Johnson,
510-495-2802.