[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 05-26-05

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed May 25 22:35:51 PDT 2005

Dear e-tree subscribers:  I apologize if the lines  in the bulletin are
breaking at the wrong places.  I usually remove the hard carriage
returns before posting but I've injured my left hand (nothing serious)
and using the keyboard will be difficult for a few days.   Thank you,
Kathryn Capps  e-tree parent volunteer

-STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
May 26, 2005
Contact:  Belinda McDaniel  bmcdaniel at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Administration
1.	If you are interested in a trip to Costa Rica, the deadline for
applications is this coming Tuesday, May 31st.  Students will spend a
week
on the beach on the north eastern Caribbean coast of Costa Rica.  You
will
be working with biologists to assist them in monitoring nesting sites of
sea turtles.  You will spend a second week in low land tropical rain
forest learning about rainforest ecology and assisting in reforestation.
The last two days will be an overnight river rafting trip on a jungle
river.  You will meet Costa Rican high school students to exchange
information on endangered species.  We are taking sign-ups now.  Only
three spaces left.  Remember deadline for applications is this coming
Tuesday.  See Mr. Crosby in room G307 for an application and additional
information.

2.	Special Notice!  All Berkeley High Library books are due by this
Friday, May 27.  The last day to check out books is Thursday, May 26.
There will be no exceptions.  Beat the rush and bring your books back
now!

3.	We will begin distributing yearbooks, WEDNESDAY, June 1st!
Distribution will take place during lunch and after school until 4:00
p.m.
the 1st through the 3rd.  NO NEW SALES WILL TAKE PLACE THE FIRST THREE
DAYS DURING DISTRIBUTION.  Beginning Monday June 6th, distribution will
continue and you may also purchase yearbooks at that time (afterschool).

4.	BART tickets are here!  Please pick up your tickets.  Next Bart
ticket
orders will be taken May 31.  This is the last BART order for the year.

5.	If you would like to check out the Senior Prom CD please see Ruby
Taylor at lunch to do so.  The CD can be signed out for one day and must
be returned.  If lost, a fee will be charged.

Clubs
1.	Participants of Black Graduation!  The date has been changed to June
5th!  If you have not picked up a permission slip, please do.  Also, if
you want a t-shirt and you want your name on it, please sign up in H214.

2.	Attention Best Buddies!  Please come to our weekly chapter meeting
this
Thursday, May 26th.  We will be handing out permission slips for our
lunch
field trip next week.

Sports
1.	Track and Field Pot-Luck Banquet on Thursday, June 2 from 6-8 at the
BHS food court.  Athletes and their families are invited to attend.
Please bring a side dish or desert and drinks to share.  Pizza and
chicken
will be provided.

Senior / Junior Section
1.	Seniors- Turn in a Transcript Request Form to Ms. Mellion in D173 so
that we can send an official transcript to the school you will be
attending in the fall.  This is required for all four year colleges.
Write
in capital letters across the top “Final TRANSCRIPT” and paperclip it
to a
stamped business size envelope addressed to the college.  Use Berkeley
High School as the return address, not your home address.  If you are
under 18, please remember to have your parent or guardian sign the
request
form.

2.	Graduation tickets will not be available until Thursday, May 26th,
2005.  Tickets will be on sale in the Student Body Accountants office
(D143).

3.	Seniors- In order to purchase Graduation tickets you must have your
ID,
and all book and or equipment debts cleared.

4.	Juniors- the new UC eligibility index is now available.  You can
find it at:

<http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/
paths_to_adm/freshman/scholarship_reqs.html>.

Events/ Performance
1.	The BHS film festival is moved to Tuesday, June 7.  6th Annual
Berkeley
High School Film Festival will take place at the Little Theater.  6-7 pm
Refreshments/ ticket and raffle sales. 7pm Show and Raffle.  The
festival
will feature documentary, fiction, and experimental works from students
at
BHS and throughout the Berkeley Unified School District.

2.	Come one, come all.  Do you support youth voting?  Do you want to
make
change?  Tonight, Tuesday, is the night.  Speak out for youth rights in
Berkeley at the City council Chambers.  The address is 2134 Martin
Luther
King Jr Way, right across from Civic Center Park.  Be in front at 6:50
meet everyone before we go in.

3.	The Noodle factory presents “Live and Direct, Youth voice in
effect”, a
showcase of the hottest young talent in the bay speaking on Youth
incarceration featuring artists from Youth Movement Records, Outta
Pocket
Boyz, Youth Speaks, the Mamaz and Aya de Leon.  Come enjoy a night of
live
music, good food, a DJ and an open mic this Saturday.  For more
information pick up a flyer in G108B.

Sales
1.  Yearbooks are $70 now!  Get them in H102 at lunch on Tuesday and
Thursdays. Zero period Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

2.  BHS Tsunami Relief group is having another bake sale at lunch, May
26th.