[BHS etree] ADMIN: Conflict Mediation at Berkeley High

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Feb 15 21:27:20 PST 2005

contact: esandberg at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Conflict mediation is a program in which Berkeley High School students help
peers settle disputes. It is a voluntary and cooperative process where two
parties who are having a conflict communicate with each other and look for
agreement.  It is a problem-solving approach where no one loses.  Student
mediators have been trained to serve as objective resources for disputes and
to facilitate peaceful resolutions.  This process teaches mutual respect
through clear and direct communication. Our goal is to promote a positive
school environment for all.

Procedures for Mediation:
We have established the following guidelines:
-	Any student can request mediation.
-	Students can be referred to mediation by faculty, administration, or
parents.
-	All parties must agree voluntarily to the process.
-	All parties involved agree to keep the mediation private.

How to Contact Us!
Students who are having a conflict can use our services by filling out a
mediation request form or by writing an email to
elisabeth_sandberg at berkeley.k12.ca.us.  Mediation request forms are
available in the counseling center.  Once filled out they can be returned to
the box next to the forms in the same location.

If you observe a fight you can refer the disputants’ names to us and we will
check in with them to see if they would like help in solving their conflict.
Referrals can be made as described above.

Who is in Charge:
Our student program leaders are Monika Chan, Beth Midanik-Blum and Semera
Shemsu.  The faculty supervisor is Elisabeth Sandberg.  You can contact us
via the above e-mail or by calling Elisabeth Sandberg @ 644-6193