[BHS etree] ETREE: New Year catch-up Five items

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Jan 3 13:35:36 PST 2005

Dear Subscribers,
Over the holidays the etree went down.  Idiom, our server,  fixed the
problem this morning.  Rather than send out five separate postings we are
sending them as a group. Please scroll all the way down.  The  Student Daily
Bulletin and the College Advisor's Bulletin will follow as separate
postings.
Janet and Kathryn

1. PARENT RESOURCE CENTER: January Bart Tickets and Calendar of Events
contact: Irma Parker [mailto:iparker at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Bart ticket orders will be taken on January 3rd and 4th at lunchtime only in
room D-148. All sales are on a cash only basis.  Tickets are $16.00 for a
$32.00 cash value ticket.  Students may order multiple tickets.  Tickets are
usually ready for pickup in the Parent Center 7 -10 workday after order has
been mailed to Bart.

Parent Resource Center Calendar of Events for Spring 2005:

February 2005  Date to be announced
Parents & Student's Rights Workshop

March 2005   Date to be announced
How to Plan and pay for College Workshop for Sophomores and Juniors

April 2005   Date to be Announced
Berkeley High School Family Day Picnic

May 21, 2005
Parent Resource Center's 5th Annual Parent Volunteers, Staff Appreciation
Dinner & Program

2. PTSA: Final report on Cody's fundraiser
contact: Julie Wong mjwong59 at comcast.net

The final count for Cody's receipts (127)   was $12,054.09.  So, we netted
$3,000 for the  Berkeley High Library, basically the same as last year.
Isn't that nice?  Julie  Wong

3. MISC: Chaperones needed
contact:  Hypedrama at aol.com [mailto:Hypedrama at aol.com]

Any parent interested in being a chaperone on field trip to SF Chronicle
this Thursday?? We will leave school at 9 am, come back about 2, taking
BART. let me know! -Jordan Winer

4. SPORTS: An  Appeal for funds
contact:  Virginia Jardim [mailto:jardimfamily at hotmail.com]

A warm thank you to all who have donated to the Berkeley Athletic Fund!
Since the annual fundraising letter was mailed in mid-November, BAF has
received $4390.00, a little more than half of that received last year. If
you meant to support BHS athletics and misplaced the letter, you can still
send your year-end tax-deductible donation to the address below. Let's keep
our program strong!
                                      Berkeley Athletic Fund
                                      Ellen Brotsky
                                      1959 Napa Ave.,
                                      Berkeley, CA 94707

5. WRITERCOACH CONNECTION: Make A Difference to BHS Kids—Become a Writing
Coach
Contact: Lynn Mueller, WCC Volunteer Coordinator, 524-2319,
writercoachconnect at yahoo.com

Make a new year's resolution to help make a difference for kids at Berkeley
High--become a writing coach!  We still have some spaces available in our
January training session.  Contact us now to register.

WriterCoach Connection (WCC) pairs trained volunteers with students to help
them master the writing and critical thinking skills needed to complete
assignments and succeed.  Coaches commit to a regular, 1 or 2-hour/week
assignment and meet weekly, during the school day, to work one-on-one with
students in their English classes.

You can learn the step-by-step methods to coach students--including your
own--at one of our Spring 2005 training sessions:

Session A:   Thursdays,       Jan 13 & 20,       6:30-9:30 PM
Session B:   Wednesdays,     Feb 9 & 16,        6:30-9:30 PM
Session C:   Tuesdays,         Mar 8 & 15,        6:30-9:30 PM

Writing is a skill students need throughout their lives.  Writing coaches
support kids and teachers and have a great opportunity to stay tuned in to
what is going on at Berkeley High.

Additional info and volunteer registration at:
www.writercoachconnection.org