[BHS etree] CAS:parent meeting, other announcements

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Dec 16 06:52:56 PST 2004

 Contact:  Rick Ayers  rayers at Berkeley.k12.ca.us

1)  CAS FAMILY ORGANIZING MEETING

CAS Families:  Please join with CAS families for a mid-year check in on CAS
progress and lend your support to CAS Leadership.
When:  January 11th, 7-9pm
Where:  Administration Building: gather in cafeteria
Who:  All CAS Families, CAS teachers, CAS Counselor, CAS Homework Center
Facilitator (Nicole)

Agenda:
CAS Overview for Year:  How are our students doing?  How are race dynamics
shaping the year? What progress is the school making?
  CAS Supports:  Homework Center, Teacher Equity Inquiry/Intervention,
Counselor
  CAS Leadership Election:  4 parents will serve for a year  [can you
serve?***]

Break out into grade level meetings with teachers and students presenting:
  9th:  parent orientation, feedback:  how your students can be successful;
what are you hearing from your students?
10th: student support; finding the groove of science, math,language,
integrated curriculum:
  11th:  the heat is on; focus on social justice; retreat
indiscretions/issues; preparing the path for life after high school
  12th:  senior internships; recent events: loss and race; life beyond....

A lovely team of parents and teachers is planning this event to be a dynamic
dialog:  teachers and students presenting the portrait of their endeavors;
parents discussing their aspirations and concerns.

Please know we need to elect 4 parents to serve on CAS Leadership Council.
These positions require 1-2 meetings/month in late afternoon/evening.
Parents serve with 4 students, 4 teachers, 2 administrators, to set
direction of CAS.  If you are interested in serving, please contact: Micheal
Miller mdmillerrr at aol.com (524-9097); Claudia Wilken, claudiawilken at aol.com
(486-8013); or Kalima Rose krose at policylink.org (418-7013).

2)  MATH AND CHEMISTRY HELP NEEDED

Dear CAS families and friends,
As the end of the semester nears, we are identifying more and more students
who need extra help with their math and chemistry classes.  We are looking
for tutors.  We currently have a chemistry back-up class on Tuesday and
Thursdays during 7th period.  Students in this class come from all of the
different chemistry classes offered at BHS.  As a result, the class is
comprised of students who have different teachers, covering different
chemistry topics.  The challenge is addressing the needs of all students
when each is at a different place in the chemistry curriculum.  An organized
group of tutors could really help to make sure every student is receiving
support.

The CAS Homework Center (room C-325, Monday through Thursday, 3:30-5 pm) is
also in need of math and chemistry tutors.  We need to identify and organize
potential homework center volunteers who can work with students as they
prepare for their final exams.

Please respond as soon as possible if you can assist in any way.

Mary Murphy, CAS Biology teacher, mmurphy at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Rick Ayers, CAS lead teacher, rayers at berkeley.k12.ca.us

3) CALENDAR SALES

The fundraising CALENDAR SALE, for the CAS video program
ENDS this SATURDAY, Dec. 18. PROMPTLY AT 1:00PM.  IT IS FROM 11:00AM to
1:00PM ONLY. . We are selling beautiful 2005 calendars for only $5.00! These
are the same calendars currently selling in stores for $12.00 to $18.00.
They make GREAT GIFTS. There are wall, page-a-day, and engagement calendars.
Art, nature, travel, children's, sports, spiritual, etc. NEW STOCK EACH
WEEK.

WHERE: 2310 Valley St. Berkeley. This is 3 blocks west of
Sacramento off Channing Way  RAIN OR SHINE!