[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 11/19/04

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Nov 18 19:20:56 PST 2004

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
November 19, 2004

Administration

1.    Freshmen get applications to be leadership officers from Mrs.
McKnight- Johnson in room C400.  Applications are due November 29th - turn
them in ASAP.

2.    Are you interested in a trip to Costa Rica July 2-20?  We are taking
sign-ups now.  You will be working with biologists to assist them in
monitoring nesting sites of sea turtles and doing species population
studies of various jungle animals.  You will meet Costa Rican High School
students to exchange information.  We are taking sign-ups now.  See Mr.
Crosby in room G307 for an application.

3.    The Berkeley High School Site Council will meet on Tuesday, November
23, 2004, from 4:30 to 6 pm, in C106.  On the agenda are the
appointment of a BHS administrator to the SSC, a proposed timeline for SSC
for 2004-2005, athletic eligibility requirements, and requests for
authorization by two new small schools.  All representatives and
alternates should attend, and anyone interested is welcome.

Clubs
1.    Come to an informational meeting for the World Affairs Challenge 2004.
You can meet a lot of new people while working together to win cool prizes
and trophies.  It’s a fun and great experience.  The meeting is at lunch
on Wednesday in C105.  People with artistic talent are strongly needed.

2.    Come to the Youth for Christ meeting this Friday, November 19th during
lunch in C400 to share faith and fellowship.  Students and staff are both
welcome.

3.    Earphone English members- Special meeting for lunch this Friday to
talk about audio books and share food with friends!  Come to C116 at lunch.

4.    Attention dancers!  Come audition for the second annual production of
"IMAGES" (formerly known as "M").  We're an independent, student-run dance
performance.  Mandatory meeting this Thursday, November 18 on the
Community Theater Stage at 3:30 and auditions November 22nd at 4:15 p.m.

5.    Congratulations to the Model United Nations Club for taking first
place at Saturday's workshop!  Meetings will now be on Fridays during lunch
in C307.  Come in order to get your committee and topic assignments for the
March conference.  New members are always welcome.

6.    Want to go to a statewide Theatre Festival in Sacramento?  Come find
out about the Lenea Festival this Friday in the Drama Room.  Adventure
awaits you!  See Mr. Winer in A203.

7.    The Insomnia Club will be meeting this Friday in the Library at lunch.
We will be renewing info from our first meeting and having an open
discussion about sleep.  Please eat your lunch before you come into the
library.  We will start at about 11:45 a.m.

8.    Come to the first meeting of the Art of Healing club on Monday,
November 22, at 3:15 p.m. in the library.  Art of Healing collaborates with
Children's Hospital on community service projects supporting children who
are hospitalized long term.  We will work with the Knitting Club to make
gifts for the children.  Come get more information and offer your ideas!

Sports
1.    Hey soccer fans!  The defending NCS soccer champions open the
2004-2005 season today at 5:30 pm as they play against Logan High School.
Come out to support the boys soccer team.

2.    Attention Badminton team:  All coupon books, or coupon book money is
due Monday, November 11, 2004 at lunchtime in D219.  NO EXCEPTIONS!  IF
BOOKS OR MONEY IS NOT TURNED IN  YOU WILL BE LIABLE!

3. Berkeley High plays Pittsburg H.S. in the first round of the NCS 4A
playoffs tomorrow night at 7:30 at Pittsburg.  Presale tickets are
available for $5 student/$8 adult at the Donahue Gym Ticket window today
at lunch and afterschool.

If there is enough demand, a "Jacket Rooter Bus" will be provided for all
those who want to ride together to support our team.  It will leave from
the Old Gym at 5:30.  Tickets are $10 and include a snack bag (sandwich,
chips, drink).  Tickets are available at the Donahue Gym ticket window at
lunch (11:30-12:15) and after school today and will be sold through lunch
tomorrow.

A minimum of 40 riders is required to order this bus.  If you cannot come
to purchase a rooter bus ticket today, email me your request for tickets,
and I will reserve a spot for you.

Kristin Glenchur
Athletic Director, Berkeley High School
kglenchur at berkeley.k12.ca.us
(510) 644-8723 office
(510) 644-8523 fax

Senior Section
 1.  School visits:
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 23
8:30 am Olin School of Engineering (MA) - Offers free tuition to all
accepted students.

1.    Scholarship Opportunity for seniors- Don H. Splawn Scholarship - open
to financially disadvantaged seniors who demonstrate significant
dedication to their school, family and community for use at an educational
or vocational institution.  $1,000 scholarship.  Deadline: November 22.
Applications available in the College/Career Center.

2.    Senior reminder!  Please pick up your early graduation petition forms.
(Registrar's office or the Counseling center).   Make sure they are
completely filled out, by the counselor and your parent.  They are due
back at the registrar's office by December 10th.

Events/ Performance
1.    BHS’s own Jazz Ensemble and Combos, ranked No. 1 in the nation,
performs on Friday the 19th at 7:30 in the Little Theater.  Doors open at
7:00 and dinner, drinks and desserts will be available for purchase in the
lobby.  Free to students, faculty and staff.  $10 general admission.

2.    Every year people around the world gather to remember the over 20
million people who have died of AIDS, and to learn to protect themselves.
Join us at the Community Theater November 30th and December 1st to observe
WORLD AIDS Day.  Memorial quilt as well as tables with activities and
information provided by your BHS Health Center, community organizations,
fellow students, Peer Educators and Youth Advisors.

Sales
1.    Make sure you buy a yearbook.  The price is still $60.  They will go
up soon.  Come to H102 before school (zero period) or after school.

2.    Come join the Black Student Union for a bake sell on the senior steps
at lunch on Friday, November 19th.  All proceeds will go toward funds for
the Black College tour.  Cookies, cupcakes, candy and more.