[BHS etree] SUPT: Michele Lawrence writes to the community

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Nov 8 15:53:12 PST 2004

contact:  Mark Coplan [mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Dear Friends, Staff and Berkeley Community,

Sunday afternoon my mother, daughter, and new grandbaby took a taxi to the
airport to catch a flight back to LA.  Their two days with me were a
wonderful tonic for my creeping depression brought on by the recognition
that my personal and professional habits will be significantly altered for
the next ten weeks.

There was no hesitation in my family’s response to my cry for help but
they are family and I assumed they would instantly come. However, I was
overcome with such humility and gratitude by the unexpected responses and
offers of support I received from so many of you. Your flowers, cards and
acts of kindness have been so thoughtful and generous and have given me
the resolve I need for a speedy recovery. Thank you from the bottom of my
heart. You have no idea how deeply touched I am.

In my role as superintendent I am somewhat a public figure, but I tend to
keep my personal life very private. So, when I learned that the account of
my accident and a solicitation for help were sent on the district e-trees,
I was mortified and embarrassed - even more embarrassed than lying in the
street in preparation for an ambulance ride and introducing myself to the
growing number of curious neighborhood kids who were meeting their
superintendent for the first time. This encounter seemed to delight kids
but left me with little dignity. But, perhaps these moments of
embarrassment, and now greater dependence on others, are good reminders of
my vulnerabilities and keep me grounded in the realities of daily living
and the importance of community.

It is the recognition of the importance that community plays in one’s life
that has impressed me the most this past week. I was at a community
gathering when I slipped off the curb. My neighborhoods called the
ambulance and later cleaned my house in preparation for my return. It was
a community member, Nancy Feinstein, who spent more than 10 hours holding
my hand in the hospital. I am being picked up and returned from work by
staff and parents. Invitations to fix me dinner have flooded my office.
And, the gifts of funny pajamas and large socks to fit over my cast have
endeared me to families and lifted my spirits. Thank you one and all.

The doctor tells me that I won’t be able to put weight on my ankle, now
supported with a metal rod and nine screws, for about eight more weeks.
So, my physical dependence on the “kindness of strangers” will go on a bit
longer. However the emotional and mental recognition that I am tied to
this community in ways that goes beyond my professional duties, will last
a life time. I am honored to be among you.

Sincerely,
Michele Lawrence
Berkeley Resident & BUSD Superintendent

Mark A. Coplan