[BHS etree] COLLEGE: INFORMATION ON THE PSAT FOR SOPHOMORES AND JUNIORS

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Sep 27 10:05:48 PDT 2004

CONTACT:  Ilene Abrams, BHS College Advisor  iabrams at berkeley.k12.ca.us

INFORMATION ON THE PSAT FOR SOPHOMORES AND JUNIORS

The PSAT is a practice test for the SAT.  The PSAT given on October
16th is a practice test for the new SAT, which will be given beginning
March 2005.

PSAT scores are not seen by the colleges.  When students receive their
scores, they also receive their original test booklet and a list of the
correct answers.  Students can use this information to prepare in those
areas that could most benefit from additional study or practice.

For juniors, the PSAT is also used to determine eligibility for
National Merit scholarships.  Sophomores are not eligible for National
Merit scholarships. The score required to qualify for National Merit
vary from year to year.

I encourage all juniors who are planning to take the SAT to take the
PSAT since it is an excellent practice test and colleges do not see the
scores.   I do not recommend using an early SAT test as practice for a
later SAT test since colleges will see the scores of all SAT tests
taken by a student when he or she sends the scores.

Sophomores and their families should discuss whether or not it would be
helpful for a sophomore to take the test.  On the plus side, it gives
an early assessment of areas that need more study.  On the negative
side, it can induce stress unnecessarily since students are still
taking classes to learn the subjects being tested.  There is no right
or wrong decision to be made.  It is really up to each student, with
the help of his or her family, to decide what works best.

To sign up for the PSAT being given at Berkeley High on Saturday,
October 16, go to the ticket window on the Allston Street side of the
“D” Building at lunchtime.  The cost is $22 cash only.  The deadline to
register is October 6.  If you believe that you are eligible for a fee
waiver, see me in D221 at lunch or after school only.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me at
iabrams at berkeley.k12.ca.us.

Ilene Abrams
College Advisor