[BHS etree] ADMIN: Scholarship fund in honor of slain BHS graduate.

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Sep 23 23:33:18 PDT 2004

On June 25 of this year,  BHS Counselor Madeleine Scott’s son Nyima Miguel
Sorenson was shot and killed while leaving a restaurant in the Rockridge
area. Below is a letter from Ms Scott:

Dear Berkeley High Community,

I want to say thank you for the support so many of you have given me since
the death of my son, Nyima, on June 25th. I am so grateful for your cards
and food, your calls and  emails, your visits and words and hugs. Until I
experienced a tragic loss myself, I had no idea how much these expressions
of compassion mean to someone who is grieving.  You really helped sustain me
through the first hard weeks, and now months.

Nyima was a Berkeley High graduate, class of ´96, who later worked as a
tutor in the Student Learning Center and in the history department. In his
honor, we are setting up a scholarship fund for Berkeley High students. In
any of you are interested in making a donation, you can contact Teri Goodman
or Rory Bled. Alternately, a couple of his friends have started a website in
his memory - fornyima.org – and plan on forming a foundation with an
anti-violence mission. There is information there too about donating.

I am writing you from Mexico where my daughter and I are staying with a
close friend and her family, having what I hope will be a healing and
peaceful stay. I expect to be back at work in the Counseling Department
Spring semester. I´ll be looking forward to seeing you all then, and meeting
those of you who are new. I hope you have settled in to this semester and
that it is proving productive and as relaxed as a large public school can
be. Let´s all remember to cherish what we have!

Fondly,
Madeleine Scott