[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 9/23 and 9/24

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Sep 23 08:56:13 PDT 2004

Contact:  Belinda McDaniel at berkeley.k12.ca.us

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
September 23, 2004 and September 24, 2004

Administration

1.    Juniors and Sophomores: sign-ups for the October 16 PSAT will begin
Wednesday, September 22nd and continue through Wednesday, October 6th
during lunch at the D Building ticket windows on Allston Way.  The fee for
the test is $22.  Cash only.

2.    Work experience class begins Friday, September 24th - at the beginning
of lunch.  Bring all enrollment papers.  Mandatory in C317 (Mrs. Horikoshi).

3.    College visits today:
10:35 am - Oberlin (OH)
1:20 pm - Bowdoin (ME)
2:20 pm - Lewis and Clark (OR)

Clubs
1.    Earphone English meeting the first half of lunch, Friday, September
25th in C116.  Bring a friend to check our audio books and eat cookies!

2.    Do you want to help lower the voting age, become politically active,
and meet lots of new friends?  Then join the Progressive Club, Thursdays
at lunch in room H208.  Free snacks are provided.  See ya there!

3.    Forensics:  first meeting, G215 today, September 23rd at lunch.
Events include debate, dramatic interpretation, impromptu speaking, all
welcomed.

4.    Attention Women of BHS! "Speak on it!" will meet every Thursday at
lunch beginning October 7, 2004.  Please bring a friend and get ready to
engage in topics chosen by you for you.  All female students at BHS are
welcome.  Questions call- Shannon Banks at 644-6928.  See you on October
7th at lunch.

5.    Are you interested in foreign cultures?  Want to practice your
Spanish? Chinese? Thai?  Want to learn some new languages?  Want to meet
some of our new ELL students?  Want to help teach some of our newcomer
students English?  Come to the Berkeley High Culture and Language Exchange
Club.  Come find out about the club on Friday at lunch in Room C134.  See
Mr. Berkman.

6.    Interested in meeting new friends and going on fun fieldtrips?  If so,
the Best Buddies Club might be for you.  Best Buddies is a club that
enhances the lives of students with intellectual disabilities through one to
one friendships.  Come check it out at the informational meeting on
Thursday, September 23 in H106 at lunch.

7.    We're back!  Come to the Science Fiction Club on Fridays at lunch in
C224 to watch lots of great sci-fi movies!  This week we'll be showing Star
Trek: First Contact.

8.    Attention, Knitters and Needle workers!  Come to our first meeting on
Monday, September 27 after 6th period in the Library, D226.  We have yarn,
needles, books and people who will help you learn to knit, crochet or
embroider.

9.    Come to the first Jewish Student meeting of the 2004/2005 school year.
We can kibitz and schmooze Thursday at lunch in G212.  Bring your friends.

10.    Want a new experience unlike anything BHS can offer.  Come Thursday,
September 23rd to conference room B to learn about spending a semester
living on a working farm and taking classes like peace studies.  Receive all
needed high school credits.  For more information contact Scott Rasmussen.

11.    Hapa Club has this year's first meeting on Thursday at lunch.  Come
hang out with us in G305. We might even have food.  Again, that's G305 at
lunch on Thursdays.

Sports
1.    JV and Varsity Football team play Lowell on the BHS turf.  Tix are $3/
students and senior citizens and $5 adults.  Everyone must show ID.  Go
Jackets!

2.    Good luck to Field Hockey, Girl's Golf, Girl's Tennis, Water Polo, and
Girl's Volleyball as they begin their league seasons this week.

3.    Those who plan to try out for Girls or Boys Soccer, Wrestling, or
Girls or Boys Basketball should pick up athletic packets and schedule
physicals as soon as possible.  The winter season opens November 7 and you
must have your paperwork ready in order to try out.

Senior Section

1.    College visits:
Friday, September 24
1:20 pm  UC San Diego

Monday, September 27
8:30 am   Middlebury (VT)
9:30 am    Mills (CA)

Tuesday, September 28
8:30 am    Williamette (OR)
9:30 am    Williams (MA)
10:35 am   Georgetown (DC)
1:20 pm     UC Davis
2:20 pm     Boston University

2.    Seniors, bring your baby pictures to H102 during zero period.  We will
be collecting last names starting with :
         A- J   This Tuesday through September 28th.
         K-R   Monday, September 27th through Monday, October 4th
         S-Z   October 4 – October 11
Make sure to put your first and last name on the back of the picture and
in a self-addressed stamped envelope.  No late photos will be accepted.

2.  The first club commissioner’s meeting will be on Thursday, September
23rd.  Club representatives must attend.  We will discuss ways in which
clubs can be involved in events and go over general information regarding
setting up accounts and fundraising.  See Mrs. McKnight-Johnson if you
have any questions.

3.  Hey Seniors, it's time to buy your senior pages!  The yearbook will be
selling pages everyday this week at lunch on the community theater steps or
in H102 during zero period.  Single page spreads will be $200 and double
page spreads will be $400.  Don’t miss out on your senior pages!

4.  Attention Seniors: The last day to have your senior formals submitted
for the BHS yearbook is October 8th!  Contact ABC Harrell immediately to
schedule an appointment.

5

Events/ Performance
1.    Calling all Teckies!  If you are interested in working on Tech Crew
for drama or Dance Productions, come to A203 at lunch on Friday.  Freshman
welcome!  No experience necessary.

2.    STUDENTS!! The Black Student Union is hosting the 1st Annual
Playground Explosion:  Come and play! Come jump rope, hop scotch, and play
with all the things from when you were kids.  So come enjoy food, games,
music and more!  The point of this event is to have fun in the yard, so if
you have any toys or anything to bring and share.  Drop it off in H214.  The
Explosion is Friday, September 24th in the courtyard at lunch.

Sales
1.    You may purchase PE uniforms in the girl’s gym.  Shorts $10, t-shirts
$10, Sweat shirts and sweatpants are $15.

Belinda McDaniel