[BHS etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin for 9/08/04

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Sep 7 21:48:39 PDT 2004

Contact:  Belinda McDaniel  bmcdaniel at berkeley.k12.ca.us

STUDENT DAILY BULLETIN
September 8, 2004

Administration
1. Today (Wednesday, Sept. 8)  is a minimum day.  The schedule for students:

Students began school LATE

No period 0
Period 01-10:00 -10:40
Period 02-10:46 - 11:30
LUNCH-11:30 - 12:10
Period 03-12:16 - 12:56
Period 04-1:03 - 1:43
Period 05-1:49 - 2:29
Period 06-2:35 - 3:15
Period 07-3:21 - 4:01

2.    Attention Seniors and Juniors: get credit for working.  See Ms.
Horikoshi in C317 to enroll for 5 or 10 credits.

3.    Student Planner organizers can be purchased in the Admin office (see
Ms Taylor or Ms McDaniel(.  The cost is $5.

4.    LOCKERS: we are currently out of lockers.  We will distribute more
lockers next week.  Listen to the daily announcements for a time and place.

5.    TEACHERS: please do not forget to send your NO SHOW papers to Ruby
Taylor.

Clubs
1.    Opera Club is alive and well!  If you would like to go with Berkeley
High students to see La Traviata   by Verdi, next Tuesday evening,
September 14.  Stop by to see Mr. Ayers in C327.  We have 10 tickets.
First come, first served.

2.    Have you ever been told, "You have a great voice--you should be an
announcer?"  Now you can.  If you would like to learn to be an announcer
at BHS athletic events, please sign up with Billy Keys or Kristen Glenchur
in the Athletic Office located next to the Donahue Gym.

3.    Do you want to help lower the voting age?  Do you want to become
politically active and meet lots of new friends?  Then come join the
Progressive Club, Thursdays at lunch in H208.  Free snacks are
provided.  See ya there!

4.    Come and find out all about drama and Theatre at BHS.  There’s a lot
going on in our award winning department.  Bring your ideas and questions
to Mr. Winer's room in A203.

5.    Come to the 1st annual Performing Arts Department BBQ!  Eat food and
learn about dance, theater, and music-arts opportunities here at BHS. The
picnic will be held Friday, September 10th from 4-6 pm on the campus green.

6.    What do you think of the Health Center?  Do you have ideas about to
make the Health Center run better?  Become a part of the Youth Advisory
Board and have your ideas be heard!  Pick up an application at the Health
Center and return it by 9/16.

7.    Do you love CAL football?  Come join other like-minded, rabid Cal fans
at the first-ever meeting of the Cal Sports Club.  We are a new club forming
called "Bear Territory."  Our first meeting will be held at lunch on
Thursday, September 9th in G212.  See Brandon Delp-Stiller for questions.

8.    The BHS Health Center is still open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on
Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  However, on Tuesdays and Thursdays it is
only open from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. because of staff meetings.  If there is
an emergency at any time the Health Center is closed, please let the safety
staff know.  We're also happy to announce that we'll be moving to our new
location in the H building mid-September.

9.    Do you want to teach your fellow students about sexual health?  If so,
apply to be a Peer Educator. Applications are available in the BHS Health
Center and must be turned in by September 16th.  Stop in and pick one up or
come in to get more information.

10.    Attention Clubs:  all clubs from the 2003-2004 school year need to
submit updated club information to Ms. McKnight by Friday 09/10/04.  Teacher
sponsors, club presidents or representatives info is appreciated.

Sports
1.    Any student interested in playing baseball for Berkeley High this
season, who did not play on a BHS baseball team last year, should come to
a meeting during lunch on Wednesday, September 8 in C128.

2.    The most up to date athletic schedules can be viewed at any time at
<http://www.viewmyschedule.com>.   Check it out.

Senior Section
1.    Upcoming College visits - sign up in the College/Career Center:

September 8, 9:35 a.m.    Mt. Holyoke (MA)
September 15, 12:20 p.m.  University of Puget Sound (WA)

2.    Reminder: If you are applying to private colleges which need a
counselor recommendation then your Senior Profiles are due on September 10
if you are applying Early Decision or Early Action and September 24th for
regular Decision.  You do NOT need to fill these out if you are applying
only to the UC's or Cal State Universities.

3.    Senior Parent Night is Monday, September 20, 6:30 p.m. in the College
Career Center.

4.   SAT/ACT TEST DATES: Tuesday, September 7 is the regular registration
deadline for the October 9 SAT I and SAT II tests.  Saturday, September 17
is the regular registration deadline for the October 23 ACT tests.

Events/ Performance
1.    Attention all musicians: Auditions for the Berkeley High School Jazz
Ensemble will take place the second week of school:

Wednesday, September 8 - Saxophones;
Thursday, Sept. 9 - Trumpets and Trombones;
Friday, Sept 10-Rhythm.

Auditions will take place during 7th period in the band room in the A
Building.  Please contact Lori Ferguson at 527-8245 with any questions.

2.    Beginning Breaking classes on Thursdays from 4:30 to 6 p.m. At
Ashkenaz in 1317 San Pablo Ave. at Gilman in Berkeley.

3.    Italian classes at BHS!  You can still sign up for Italian.  It is
offered Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays Zero period in C102.  If interested
see Mrs. Carta in C102 or come by Zero Period this Friday.

Sales
1.    You may purchase PE uniforms Thursday and Friday after school in front
of the community theater.  Shorts $10, t-shirts $10, Sweat shirts and
sweatpants are $15.

2.    Bart ticket orders will be taken now until September 7.   Ticket price
is $16.00 for a $32.00 value.  Tickets are received in 7-10 days from Bart
and may be picked up in room D148 at lunch time.