[BHS etree] BSEP+: Campaign for new tax measure Sunday, August 29

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Fri Aug 20 21:49:09 PDT 2004

The new tax measure for our schools now has a letter--
we're Measure B
--and it's time to start campaigning!

Protect quality education in Berkeley. Measure B will lower class sizes
and strengthen libraries and music in the schools.

We will be meeting Sunday, August 29 from 3:30-5pm
in the old Radio Shack space at 1944 Martin Luther King.

Come learn about the measure, the campaign plan, and how you can help!
See below for some details, we hope to see you Sunday the 29th.

Thanks,
Nancy Riddle and Dan Lindheim
Campaign co-chairs

The details:
Measure B is a limited, narrowly tailored, two-year, local action to restore
essential funding and prevent further cuts that would seriously compromise
our children’s future.
• 68% of funds to achieve class sizes of: 20 students in Grades K-3, 26 in
Grades 4-5, and 28 in Grades 6-12 reversing recent large class-size
increases in grades 4-12.
• 16% will keep libraries open and staffed;
• 7% will fund music programs for 4th – 8th graders; and
• 9% will provide increased teacher training, evaluation, and family
outreach.
A citizen oversight committee will ensure that every dollar is properly
spent.

The measure has already been endorsed by many community members including
Congresswoman Barbara Lee, State Senator Don Perata, Assemblywoman Loni
Hancock, Supervisor Keith Carson, Mayor Bates, former Mayor Shirley Dean,
the entire School Board and many more. ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST--use the
attached PDF file to endorse the measure and contribute to the campaign. Our
goal to to have 1000 community members endorse the measure and raise $50,000
by September 15.