[BHS etree] SPORTS: Grace Katagiri, wife of Wrestling coach dies

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Jul 22 14:16:28 PDT 2004

contact:  Kristin Glenchur <kglenchur at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Yesterday, Grace Katagiri, the wife of Brad Itokazu, our Head Wrestling
Coach died at Alta Bates Hospital of pancreatic cancer.  She was diagnosed
shortly after the wrestling season ended this year. Brad has been with the
wrestling team since 1991, and Grace had always been an invaluble partner to
him and to the wrestlers.  She was often in the practice room, kept score at
all the dual meets, was the voice behind the microphone calling out weight
classes and announcing the winners at the Bay Bridge Classic, and was the
all around team mom and manager.  She will be greatly missed.

She worked at UC Berkeley with Nobel Prize winner Dan Mc Fadden. He has
established an endowment in her name with some of his prize money.  It is a
fitting tribute to a dedicated, intelligent, amazing woman. The time and
place of the memorial has not yet been announced.  I will  send out
additional information as it becomes available.

 Kristin
 Kristin Glenchur
 Athletic Director, Berkeley High School
 kglenchur at berkeley.k12.ca.us