[BHS etree] ADMIN: AP Language and Composition summer reading

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Thu Jun 3 21:19:30 PDT 2004

contact: Leorah Abouav-Zilberman lzilberman at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Below is information on the AP Language and Composition Summer Reading sent
out by Leorah Abouav-Zilberman, English Department Head.

1.Journal Guidelines for Students

At the end of each chapter respond in the following ways:

Note and define words of interest. (minimum five words)
Research allusions. Pollan uses Greek mythology in the discussion of
important premises. Find out about the gods he chooses and write about them.
Choose one quotation and create art to illustrate it. (Use clip art too.)
Take notes and respond to statements that the author makes.
Question the author. Assume that he will read your journal. What would you
like to ask him?
What did you learn that was interesting or surprising?
Do a web search and download an image about the topic of the chapter; paste
it in your journal
For each chapter write a one to two page “Here I Stand Response.” This means
respond to what you read. Refute, defend, or qualify the premise of the
chapter. Include your personal response to the content

2.AP English: Language and Composition 2004-2005
Your assignment for the summer will be to read The Botany of Desire by
Michael Pollan. While you are reading this book you are to keep a journal.
This journal will be a serious piece of work (a minimum of 50 pages in
length). The purpose of this assignment is for you to really “tear” your
book apart and get to know it intimately, cover to cover. On the back of
this page you will find directions for keeping a reading journal. There are
three “styles” of responses listed. I expect you to use all three in your
journal. These journals will be due the second Friday of the fall semester.
Your journal will be graded on content, effort, and appearance. I encourage
you to include color, art, and poetry; make your journal esthetically
pleasing. Your journal will be worth 200 points, 50 points per chapter.
Your journal will provide a basis for discussion in class and will be used
for essay ideas.

Have a great summer! I am looking forward to reading your journal in
September. If you have any questions or want to reach me during the summer
please e-mail me. I check my mail on a regular basis and will respond as
promptly as possible. Please use the following address rather than be-mail:
Leorah Abouav-Zilberman; leorahle at yahoo.com